Invisalign is a popular alternative to traditional metal braces that uses clear, removable aligners to straighten teeth. One of the biggest advantages of this treatment is that it is virtually invisible, making it a popular choice for adults and teenagers who want to straighten their teeth without the stigma of metal braces. However, Invisalign is not just for cosmetic purposes, it can also be used to treat a variety of orthodontic issues such as overbite and underbite. We will explore how this type of treatment can be used to treat these specific orthodontic issues and the benefits of using Invisalign instead of traditional braces.
What is an overbite and an underbite?
An overbite, also known as “buck teeth,” occurs when the upper front teeth extend over the lower front teeth. An underbite, on the other hand, occurs when the lower front teeth extend out further than the upper front teeth. Both overbite and underbite can cause a variety of dental problems such as jaw pain, difficulty biting and chewing, and even speech difficulties.
How can Invisalign be used to treat overbite and underbite?
Traditionally, metal braces have been used to correct overbite and underbite. However, Invisalign can also be used to effectively treat these orthodontic issues. The clear aligners are custom-made to fit the patient’s teeth and are worn for 20-22 hours per day. The aligners apply a gentle force to the teeth, gradually moving them into the desired position.
Invisalign uses advanced 3D computer imaging technology to create a treatment plan that is customized to each patient’s specific orthodontic needs. The treatment plan is created by a trained orthodontist and is designed to correct the patient’s overbite or underbite. The aligners are replaced every two weeks and each set of aligners is designed to move the teeth a little closer to the desired position.
Benefits of using Invisalign to treat overbite and underbite
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment option for correcting overbite and underbite. The following are some of the benefits of using such treatment for this purpose:
- Comfort: Invisalign aligners are made of a smooth, comfortable material that is gentle on the gums and cheeks. Unlike traditional metal braces, they do not have any wires or brackets that can irritate the mouth.
- Convenience: The aligners are removable, so you can eat and brush your teeth normally without having to work around brackets and wires.
- Aesthetics: These aligners are nearly invisible, so most people won’t even know you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Efficacy: Invisalign has been proven to effectively treat overbite and underbite in many patients, often with less time and discomfort than traditional braces.
- Predictability: Using advanced computer imaging technology, Invisalign can show you a virtual representation of how your teeth will move during treatment, giving you a good idea of what to expect.
- Customization: Every Invisalign treatment plan is customized to the individual patient, ensuring that their unique needs and goals are met.
In conclusion, Invisalign is a great option for patients who want to straighten their teeth and correct orthodontic issues such as overbite and underbite. With its virtually invisible appearance, removable aligners, and shorter treatment time, it offers many benefits compared to traditional metal braces.
If you are considering Invisalign to correct your overbite or underbite, it’s important to have a thorough consultation with an orthodontist. The treatment is a safe and effective option for correcting overbite and underbite, but it’s important to follow the treatment plan as prescribed by the orthodontist to achieve the best results. With proper care and adherence to the treatment plan, patients can expect to see a significant improvement in their bite and overall dental health.